Inspiration

I got a basket full of lemons and they all taste the same
a window and a pigeon with a broken wing;
You can spend your whole life working for something
just to have it taken away...
But love will come set me free,
love will come set me free
I do believe!
Love will come set me free,
I know it will.


July 3, 2009

Summer Mission #1: Complete.

[I cannot believe I wasn't going to go]

This past week, I got to go back to a camp that changed my life when I was in high school.
The camp is called Girls' State--which is a camp for high school seniors who are chosen from their high school to participate in the program. They learn about civil responsibility and government, and get simulation experience the entire week.

When I went as a student, it was confirmed that I do NOT want to go into politics because that is what I previously had wanted to do, but this wasn't a negative thing. I then knew that I wasn't meant for politics persay, but that is when I started developing a love for writing and journalism.

BUT I would say that this time, going back as a counselor had WAY more of an impact on my life. I was able to mentor girls who are searching for the same things I was back then. I got to laugh my you know what off the entire day, as I made 'fun' of things that the girls would say and do...all in good fun. Let's just hope I was not that...interesting at that age.

But this week was a chance to look into my future. I was surrounded by a staff an incredible women, all who went to Harvard, MIT, Princeton, Yale, NYU, Stanford...and all who are living out their dreams. It was such an inspiration to me because I know that this next year and a half I am in school, I can achieve the things that I have always wanted to...but felt was out of my reach.

I think in all honesty I got stuck in the Vanguard 'frame of mind' and was beginning to sell myself short. I stopped looking at grad school, I gave up on my dream of moving to the East Coast, I spent time on things that aren't really THAT important to me. But I was brought back to my passions, and saw women who ran with their dreams and never looked back. Sure they aren't all married at the age of 25 (Oh my GOD! How will they live) and they all don't live comfortable and familiar lifestyles...but they are doing what they love, and that is what I want my life to be like.

So thanks GS. You transformed me, once again. You always do...I gotta keep comin' back to you.

LF